Monday, December 9, 2013

Coach


"You can’t outwit fate by standing on the sidelines placing little sidebets about the outcome of life. Either you wade in and risk everything you have to play the game or you don’t play at all. And if you don’t play you can’t win." (Judith McNaught)  If anyone had ever said to me that one day I would coach a basketball team, I would have said they were absolutely crazy. I grew up somewhat scared of organized sports. I was a shy girl and not very aggressive when it came to playground games of dodgeball. In fact, I was usually the last to be picked for a team. I didn't have anyone around to nurture me to be more aggressive when it came to sports and my own disposition was a bit on the cautious side.  I played handball and hopscotch with zeal but hid when it came to any sporting activities. I entered adulthood pretty confident that I had successfully avoided having to embarrass myself playing any sport. I was wrong. Three weeks ago, my 13 year olds basketball team still lacked a coach. My other two kids had received the notice that their basketball teams had begun however. Finally, I found out that the team would be canceled unless someone agreed to coach his team. I begged my ex, but he refused. So...being the feisty, independent woman that I am, I said "I will do it!" Never mind that I know nothing about basketball except what I knew from watching games occasionally. I knew that you had to get the ball into the basket! I signed up and with determination and spirit, I started coaching my sons team. Now, I know how to get help and to utilize the few fathers who said they'd help when they could.  Two dads became my assistant coaches and we have been off and running. My son was shocked but proud. I could see it in his eyes, that he was glad that I stepped up and proud that I was willing to do that for him. Given that this is his first time playing organized basketball, he knew that we could both risk trying something new and that it is okay to laugh at yourself and a good experience to tread in unchartered waters. I recently learned what "boxing out' means and "setting up the pick." I have an official whistle (mostly my kids play with it) and although I don't feel like I've yet earned the title of coach, I'm proud of the boys on my team already,  for being super patient with me. I learn every time the boys are on the court and I look forward to watching them come together as a team. I have a new found respect for coaches and athletes. I can lead Girl Scout events, paint, teach art, counsel, help on the PTA and just about anything else to help people, but coaching is an area that I never thought I'd be able to add as a title. The lesson....be open to trying on new roles and wearing different hats. Never say never to an opportunity. I knew that I needed to do this for my son and for his team and I stand by my motto, "I do not know the word no and I can't."  "I will" and "I can" are what I stand by and I hope my kids remember to help others out too, instead of hiding or making excuses. Life is full of opportunities to grow as individuals and to help others and even though I am the most unlikely coach ever...I am a coach with passion and inspiration and the determination to help this team by giving them my all. At the end of the day, that's all any of us can ever do is to bring our all to everything we do. If you cannot or will not give it your all... then you should not be doing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment