Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Effect of Love

Someone asked me recently, "How are you changed by loving others?" Great question and it didn't take me long to reply. I am forever changed by the people I love in more ways than I can count. One year ago, I would have said that I am changed by the people I love for different reasons however. We always have the opportunity to grow, develop more empathy and to understand sacrifice, when we love others. Last June, when I was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma, I was shown directly how my love for others would help me grow in ways I never imagined. 

I was advised by my medical team, to have a right leg, below the knee amputation. I knew that I could go against their medical advice, so I poured over research, spoke with my children and close family, and ultimately made the decision to have the amputation. I love my children more than anything, so much so, that I knew that I needed to have this surgery, more for them than for me. When you love others, you know that sometimes you need to sacrifice. I knew that my best chance for long term survival was to amputate, and I want to be around to watch my children graduate high school, and to watch them grow into adults. I also knew that if I didn’t have the surgery, they would worry and so, the decision to amputate became easier.

So here I am, a cancer survivor (thriving) and an amputee. I am in two distinct clubs now, one for cancer and one for amputees and it is an interesting journey filled with love, tears, hugs, kindness, fear, joy and hope. I had the amputation surgery seven weeks ago today (Wow, time flies!). My love for my children and family has been the light that guides my way. My love for them allowed me the opportunity to not just live for  myself, but to live, thrive, and hopefully inspire others along the way. My love for them kept me going on tough days and was the only thing I was thinking about as I was being hooked up to chemo, and being rolled into the operating room. We often think it is other people loving us that gives us strength, but our love for others gives us courage we never thought possible. I also had to find courage and grace to allow some family and friends to distance themselves from me, as they were in too much pain with what I was going through. I am stronger today because I am forever changed by the people I love.

How have you been changed by the people you love?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment