Sunday, September 18, 2011

I Remember Me


"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn to do it'...(Pablo Picasso). I just had another birthday several days ago. I meant to sit down and write a blog article that day but the day just whirled by and here I sit trying to capture what this birthday meant to me. Each year, I am incredibly amazed at the growth and changes I've gone through during the previous year. One year ago, I was excited and nervous about the many changes I had been undergoing. Now, I'm very adjusted to living in Southern California and my kids and I feel very much at home here. The weather is my favorite thing because it allows me to hike almost every day. I felt empowered to make necessary changes in my life one year ago, but now I just feel incredibly empowered in every way possible. During the past year, I was thrown back into the dating scene which illuminated things big and small about myself and others. I also eventually got beyond my own struggles and decided that it was time to take more of a leadership role in many ways. As a therapist, I have always loved helping people, but now my heart is guiding me to reach out in service through community which means that I get to discover new and unique ways to offer guidance. Help is an interesting word...I think the word service sums it up best because I just feel that what we all can offer is truly ourselves to make our families, our schools, our communities and our world a better place through our commitment. Just committing to do our part creates a positive shift. It's so interesting to note that there is just nothing more satisfying than making a difference in other peoples lives. I have also been shown lately how our own enthusiasm and positive attitude absolutely inspires others. I put the word out to find women in their 20's, to help with the Girl Scouts in my area. My Service Unit needed more help and heck, there is always a need for Girl Scout leaders, co-leaders and volunteers to help with troops. In a matter of two weeks, I signed on six amazing young women. The irony is that they are going to help inspire young women, yet in the process, they will become more empowered. What a wonderful process. They were a bit nervous about starting troops (something new to them), but like the Pablo Picasso quote above...you learn by doing. These young women remind me of myself in my twenties, so eager and willing to learn. I love passing on the legacy of having things in life that inspire us and help us grow in numerous ways, especially when we are helping others in the process. So, it's been a great year. I'm excited to have discovered a new and renewed empowered me along the way and look forward to the new things I'll learn and grow from over the next year. I remember me...the shy, insecure yet positive girl who dared to keep heading into the unknown. The girl I was and now the woman I am, who refuses to succumb to fear and who will never stop daring to take a risk and learn something new in this journey we call life. "To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself"...(Soren Kierkegaard).

No comments:

Post a Comment