Thursday, August 25, 2011

Simon Says


I remember playing the game Simon Says as a kid. As I recall, everyone wanted to be Simon, so much so that sometimes we fought over the honor of being Simon. Being Simon meant that we were in charge, the big cheese, the leader. As kids...it was a big deal to be the leader. As adults though, it seems that most people lose that excitement to be in charge and many become followers. I'm not sure when fear kicked in and it just seemed safer to fade into the background, probably in Junior High School, when self consciousness kicks in. I observe so many adults complaining behind the scenes about everything and everyone, but instead of being a part of the solution, they become a part of the problem. Many will be negative about those brave enough to be in leaderships positions but they will never step up to volunteer or try for those positions. I suppose our current education system doesn't help the situation. It is a system based on creating followers. Children are taught to regurgitate information rather than thinking for themselves. Many magnet school are trying to pave the way for more Simon's and less followers, but most schools still follow the old model of creating diligent followers. The kids today are demanding more however. They want to be Simon's and parents are forced to either fight their children to comply with the system or challenge themselves to find ways for their children to express themselves. I watch parents around me though, so worried about what other people think, suppressing their own voices. How can people teach their children to be empowered if they themselves are not. Following others may be safe, but it's not necessarily the right thing to do. I believe in fighting for what's right, not fighting just to fight. I personally like being Simon. If I volunteer to be Simon, it's because I know that I have something to contribute. I also respect other Simon's. I recently volunteered to become the Girl Scout Service Unit Manager of the unit in my area. I honestly was willing to help out in any way to support anyone who would have volunteered to take over that position, but nobody stepped up. In an effort to see this unit thrive and not take a dive, I stepped up. This is one more role in my life that I'll have to fake until I make it. I will also have to encourage and cheerlead others to become Simon's. In fact, the mission of Girl Scouting in general is to create future leaders. In true Girl Scout fashion, I am stepping up with courage, confidence and leadership. I want my children to see that even if I'm afraid, I step up to help others, help a cause and to make a difference. So, I'd like to think that Simon would say...."The work of today is the history of tomorrow, and we are its makers"...(Juliette G. Low).

No comments:

Post a Comment