Monday, December 5, 2011

One Day


"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us"....(Helen Keller). I have heard many stories lately from people worried about the future and holding onto past relationships with absolute terror that if they let go of the past, there will be no future. I love Helen Keller's quote because often people hold onto bad relationships too long, so fearful that if they let go, they'll be all alone. What people don't often see is the new opportunities right in front of them. The same goes for jobs, schools they don't get into, and every door that appears to close in a person's life. If people cling to fear, they cannot see the new and amazing opportunities directly in front of them. Fear keeps people frozen and blind. Fear perpetuates the "why not, what if and why me" statements. I know that I have had to take many risks in my life and I've had to navigate through my own self defeating thoughts. I have faced moments where I wondered and yes feared for my future. Here I sit however, reflecting deeply about my present and my future. I feel as if life is cyclical. I am still growing and learning every day yet with each cycle and every turn of the wheel, my intuition gets stronger. Many years ago, I worked at arriving somewhere....a mystical detination that doesn't really exist. In High School, I wondered about all facets of my future including career and love questions. In College, I wondered about the same things. After college, I added kids to the mix but my curiousity remained the same. I thought that one day I'd arrive....make it to adulthood, have all the answers and sit back and relax. Ahhhh, what a nice thought. Now I manage to relax on a hike or at the spa, but my questions remain the same. Someone once said to me a profound statement, that the more knowledge we gain, the more we realize how little we really know. I suppose that's the trick in life, that we never figure it all out. Our journey is to find some kind of peace in the chaos and wisdom from experience. Our journey also is to follow the bread crumbs and to trust that a missed opportunity, a closed door and a new path, may be a blessing in disguise. I couldn't agree more with Hellen Keller's quote...to look ahead and not back, to be curious and to be aware of new doors opening for us. I'm glad that I always ask questions....it always keeps me on my toes. So, even though I have had my struggles lately, I embrace the here and now as well as my unfolding and unknown future. One day, our hearts will get the answers we are seeking. One day, may be today...if we trust our hearts over our heads and know that the unseen holds endless possibilities for us. "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart"...(Helen Keller).

No comments:

Post a Comment