Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Moment


"All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else"-(Buddha). Often when we are overwhelmed with emotion, we worry about the future or obsess about the past. The present moment is really the only one that matters. Observing the past can be helpful sometimes, to learn and reflect. But the past has it's place and cannot be changed. It helps us understand how we ended up here....in the present moment. Each choice and decision created a chain of events, which brings us to now. Being in the now is not always easy however. I have noticed that I have been incredibly distracted lately. Even with meditating frequently, it has been a challenge to just be present and focused. My house goes on the market this month, along with juggling the usual parenting duties and household issues. My counseling practice has suffered from my distraction, since I can barely remember to return calls or where to begin with e-mails, texts, voicemail and scheduling issues thanks to snow and sick kids. I have even missed several client appointments due to my error in not entering things correctly into my iPhone. I am living proof that being in the moment is not always easy! In my case, I just have a million things on my mind and thus end up everywhere else than the present. In moments of clarity though, whether it is when I am admiring the full moon or noticing how beautiful the clouds look, I pull myself back into the present. Today mother nature brought everything to life with a heavy snow that has meticulously covered each and every tree branch throughout the area. It is so spectacular that even the cashier at my favorite lunch place made a comment about it. What a lesson in the beauty of nature. It reminds me of the raw and hidden essence of our souls. We hardly notice each day the unique form in each and every living thing around us, but the snow outlines and highlights how special and amazing each tree, shrub, and plant really is. I think the beauty and unique nature of our souls is similar. In a good snow or on a summers day when the sun is shining just right, we are reminded of the beauty that surrounds us and is within us all of the time. Todays snow certainly brought me back into the present moment. My kids have a great way of pulling me back into the moment too with blood curling screams and their shrieks insisting that I pay attention to them or to break up a fight. Starting today, I began my day with a mantra, "I am grounded and in the moment throughout the day." I am also going to take a little time each day in nature, just to recharge my batteries and help reinforce being in the moment. Since each moment affects the next, being in moment helps everything run more smoothly. Also, since we all affect each other, when we stay in the moment it helps those around us stay calmer or more centered. In reverse, when we are thrown off and overwhelmed, those around us feel the ripple effect of that too. All of this helps me understand Buddha's quote more profoundly. Most people are rarely in the moment as well. Often many individuals are incredibly worried about the future or ruminating about the past. Everyone can use a little reminder to come back into the present and be in the moment. Today is what is important. So, if you are finding that you are distracted as well and struggle with being in the moment, come up with your own mantra and find time each day to ground yourself. If you are surrounded by people who are stressed and affect you profoundly, it is even more imperative to find time for yourself. "The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly"....(Buddha).

No comments:

Post a Comment