Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Hardest Goodbye


“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened"...(Dr. Seuss). I am counting the days before we start our cross country trip from the east coast to the west coast. We only have 3 more days until we depart. Our planned stops include Memphis, Dallas, Santa Fe, Mesa Verde, The Grand Canyon, Sedona, Joshua Tree and finally Thousand Oaks, CA. It is a real pilgrimage of sorts for me. I have come full circle over the past 20 years. The lost California girl found her way to the east coast and in the process, found herself. On the east coast, I integrated the importance of history, culture, family, security and life experience. Now as I weave my way back to California, I am forever changed. I head back to my home state with an open heart and the excitement of new adventures. In the process however, I am having to say goodbye to some cherished people and places. I worked and lived in or near New York City for the first eight years of my stay on the east coast. I adore New York City. I learned to live comfortably without a car, loved visiting SoHo, art galleries and taking the subway. I met a lot of diverse and amazing people while living there. I became accustomed to hearing honking horns, day and night. I jogged around Central Park, watched concerts in the park and enjoyed trying new restaurants. I witnessed countless homeless people living on the streets and almost got mugged once, but a good Samaritan grabbed the guy and got my backpack back. People often knew I was not from New York City because I heard many comments that I was just too nice to have been raised there. The buzz and activity in the city was exciting and living there was a unique experience that I will always cherish. I've been living in Connecticut for the past 12 years. I love having the ability to still take the train into NYC as well as the convenience of driving in any direction and crossing state lines in an hour or so. The coastline in Connecticut is very different from California. The beaches are rough and rocky. There are no waves and sometimes the water can look anything but pleasing to swim in. It sure is pretty to look at however. I've found some favorite hikes and places to visit in Vermont, upstate New York, Rhode Island and Cape Cod. The east coast is filled with history and beautiful architecture. The seasons are breathtaking and when each season is at it's peak, it is a glorious sight to see. Since I knew that this past year would be my last here, I took special notice of absolutely everything around me...every tree, flower, vista, became accentuated. Sometimes we pass the most beautiful sights every day, but do not notice the spectacular beauty right in front of us. Regarding people, I have to say good-bye to some very special souls. Hopefully, I can handle the goodbyes a bit better than I did 20 years ago. To all of the friends, clients, co-workers and friendly souls I have met while living here...I say thank you from the depth of my heart and soul. You have all touched my life in some way and hopefully, I affected you positively in some way too. We all help each other along the way and I have grown and learned tremendously from each and every one of you. So goodbye east coast....you will always be in my heart and now you are a part of who I have become. Thank you for the heartfelt memories. “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand"...(Irish Blessing). “Don't be dismayed at goodbyes, a farewell is necessary before you can meet again and meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends"...(Richard Bach).

No comments:

Post a Comment