Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Falling to Pieces


"A good puzzle, it's a fair thing. Nobody is lying. It's very clear, and the problem depends just on you"...(Erno Rubik). "Every morning I jump out of bed and step on a landmine. The landmine is me. After the explosion, I spent the rest of the day putting the pieces together"...(Ray Bradbury). I was back in Connecticut for a week and it felt so good to be back on the East Coast for a visit....mostly a working visit. I am now on the plane heading back to California reflecting about my week. An act of god as they call it (due to severe thunder storms), prevented my plane from landing in Newark on the way to Connecticut, so we had to detour to Syracuse to refuel. Thanks to the detour, I missed my connecting flight to Hartford, Connecticut. Many passengers, including myself were stranded in Newark overnight. "No worries," I thought to myself, I'll get a room and head out the next morning. Now, that sounds simple but some passengers were stressed beyond belief about this happening to them. Sure, it was an inconvenience, but after texting clients to rearrange my schedule, I just settled in to finding a room for the night. I found one at a not so nice hotel but for $59 bucks, I had a place to sleep for four hours. I met some nice people while waiting for the hotel shuttle and got to see a part of Newark that I'd never seen before. The point is, you can fight the inevitable or make it an adventure. Once I landed in Connecticut, I was in a bit of a hurry to grab Starbuck's, shower and head to the office to see approximately 7 clients non-stop. I was absolutely giddy being back in Connecticut. The last time I was in Connecticut back in July, I had the weight of the move on my shoulder's and quite frankly, I couldn't get out of the state fast enough. At that time, I just wanted to get my life moved to the West Coast. Now, with my feet and family firmly planted in California, I could breathe easy in Connecticut and just enjoy being back. I was able to have some wine with friends after long days at the office. It felt great being back. My transition is now complete and I feel like a new person. Often songs help to inspire some of my articles. When I was in the hotel shuttle after my detour, the song " Falling To Pieces" came on. I had never heard it before, but the lyrics caught my attention immediately. The next day, after a long day at the office, the song was playing again when I walked into a friends house. I downloaded the song and the lyrics are about a guy finding out that his wife or girlfriend had been cheating on him, thus he is falling to pieces. The song reminds us that heartbreak and devastation is not fair and there is no balance when it comes to relationships. The line in the song says, "when a heart breaks...no it don't break even...I'm falling to pieces." After seeing many clients for many years, people come to me after devastating things happen that crumble the very foundation they had been teetering on. Often though, the foundation they had been clinging to needed to fall away. It is upsetting nonetheless and the person is left with picking up the pieces. My own journey the past several years was about allowing myself to fall to pieces to allow a much needed transformation. Like the poem in my last article, in honoring my soul, I had to bravely face hurting others along the way. Now as everyone is moving forward, all of our pieces have been reassembled and put back together, better and stronger than ever. Now while in Connecticut, I can smile with a sense of accomplishment that life truly does astonish us sometimes. Pieces of us truly get scattered from crisis and heartbreak as well as through our lives, with every compromise, denial and avoidance we participate in. The journey today and always is to put the pieces back together, in the order and assembly that stays true to our heart's desires. "As a child our dreams got scattered all about and all our future prospects got scattered to so many places, and we spend our lives trying to find the little pieces that make up our lives and make up the dreams that we had as a child that got blown away in the windstorm"...(Terrence Howard).

No comments:

Post a Comment