Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A Loyal Friend

Five years ago, during spring break, the kids and I went up to Saranac Lake to spend some time having fun. On day three of vacation, we completed our third hike... Baker Mountain. The kids did great and my usual trick to coax them up the trail with Ruffles to keep them going, was not necessary. My four year old Austin, gave me a look that morning that said it all, "Ya gotta be kidding me with another hike!" That day, speed was not important, they took their time and enjoyed every inch of the trail. Nature really is a natural amusement park! They slid down rocks every chance they got, jumped over puddles, jumped in puddles and used a fallen tree to ride like a see saw. We even stopped for a photo opportunity on a rock they nicknamed, "French Toast." It was interesting watching them purposely take the harder path on the trail because it was more challenging and more fun. Austin would just spontaneously park himself on the trail to rest and play. He did not complain, he would just break out into play, using sticks and rocks to battle each other. That's a boy for you. He even made me carry two of his battle sticks to the top of the mountain. He could have a future in forestry because he also likes picking up rocks on the trail and throwing them to the side. He could be in charge of clearing trails. Hiking the same mountain each day gave us the opportunity to see something new on the trail every day. I know that I have hiked this trail countless times, but with each season and each hike, the trail offers some new experience along with comfortable familiarity. Baker Mountain is a like a best friend to me, always waiting patiently for my return. Baker was one of my first hikes in the Adirondack mountains. Once I became an avid hiker, I left Baker to experience harder and longer hikes. I regarded Baker as "that easy hike." It was always great as a quick hike or a warm up but I pretty much neglected returning to it for years. Like in life, sometimes we neglect the people, things and places that are actually near and dear to us. Once I started having babies, my hiking waned for awhile and suddenly I found myself starting back at Baker again, this time carrying a baby on my back in a carrier. Baker was the trail welcoming me and helping me find my way back to something I love.....hiking. I thought that I was going to die the first couple of times hiking Baker again. Suddenly, I had gained a new respect for Baker and she felt like one of the harder high peaks to me. My perspective had shifted. Now that all of my kids can walk and thus hike on their own, Baker welcomes them with open arms too. I regard Baker as the queen of all hikes because young and old can enjoy her beauty. Families with dogs are often seen on the trail along with kids of all ages. There are many harder, gorgeous trails in the Adirondack's, but some are just too difficult for many to experience. I fully appreciate Baker now and thank her for her continued patience, beauty and grace. I've learned and reflected a lot about myself on that trail. I hiked Baker while I was a graduate student trying to find my way in life. I journeyed up Baker after having babies and now, I get to watch my own children learning about themselves as they hike her trail every year. I will always take time now to honor Baker, because she has helped me grow as a person. I will never take her for granted again and will be as loyal of a friend to her as she has been to me. “There may be more to learn from climbing the same mountain a hundred times than by climbing a hundred different mountains"...(Richard Nelson).


No comments:

Post a Comment