Monday, March 30, 2015

Rock Steady

Recently, I was listening to one of my 80's Cd's and I had to laugh when I started getting flashbacks of my cocktail waitress days, when I was in my early 20's. It was actually a great way to earn money to put myself through college. Of course, some student loans were still necessary. My cocktail waitress days were spent listening to tunes like "Rock Steady" repeatedly, very late nights, smelling like a long island ice tea from it spilling on me and early training in how to work with people. Back then, the dance scene was huge and everyone went out to clubs in Southern California. Oh, did I also forget to mention the shortest mini skirt ever! How do you think I earned those tips? It sure wasn't purely from my smile and friendly demeanor. The true highlight of those several years was when I got to be "Shot Girl" occasionally. I literally had two shot bottles, one on each hip in a holster. The shots I sold were "Sex on the Beach" and were $1.50 each and boy on those nights, I could make up to $200 in tips. Not bad for a struggling college girl at the time. I am sorry that I may have contributed to getting people drunk during those days, but I was young and needed the money. Believe it or not, it was great pre-therapist training and good mommy training. First, I ended up observing and chatting with lots of men, especially married ones while I was taking drink orders. I learned about unhappy marriages, men clearly cheating on their spouses and watched many interactions (pick-ups) between men and women. Second, I learned the art of listening because once people start to drink, they will tell you their life story. More importantly, I learned how to deal with chaotic situations and conflict resolution, which helps me with bickering couples. Now I get to sit in a comfy leather chair however and thankfully, no more long island ice teas are being spilled on me. I would definitely worry if a client walked into session with a long island ice tea and would probably have to put them into rehab for that. I like helping people feel better with talking rather than selling numerous drinks to have the same result. At least now, the results last longer and don't come with a hangover. Okay, how does cocktail waitressing help with being a mommy, you may ask? Well, cocktail waitressing was one of the most demanding and thankless jobs I've ever had, sort of like being a mommy. The customers in the clubs wanted their drinks and they wanted them now. For a buck tip, I heard pick-up lines, dealt with groping men and jealous women. Some of the customers were quite rude or cheap as well, with no tip in sight. Now instead of a tray with margaritas, beer and vodka tonics, I am carrying a tray filled with juice boxes. My kids will scream their demands across the house as if I am there to wait on them, much like the unruly customers at the club. My kids will hang on me, pull on me and fight all around me. Maybe I should crank up "Rock Steady," dim the lights and pretend I am back at the club. It might make it a little more fun. During those club days, I also learned the art of reverse psychology, which is a very important skill as a parent. Those cocktail waitress days did help me handle lots of stress because the drink orders were endless, I was on my feet for many hours and had to try to keep people happy. I learned that I could juggle much more than I imagined, which certainly helps me now as a mommy. Of course, my role as a parent is beyond satisfying and when my kids say "I love you mommy," it makes it all worth it. Oh I might have heard "I love you" shouted at me while waitressing, but those guys were three sheets to the wind and could barely stand at that point. As a tribute to my club days as a mini skirt, shot holster wearing waitress, I'm playing "Rock Steady" in honor of some of the best life training I've ever had. Oh dear, I think I hear my kids ordering something now.....guess I'm back on duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment