Saturday, July 8, 2017

Next Step

This week has been far better than the previous weeks. The shock has settled into an adjusted reality, but my new reality is still something I can't quite wrap my head around. When you hear the news that you have a rare cancer called Synovial Carcoma, one I had never heard of before, you cannot quite understand what lies ahead. The first morning after my last camp session was especially hard. I was very glad to sleep in, but when I woke up without many distractions and with no camp to head to, emotions started to engulf me. I needed to sift through things and I spent all of last weekend feeling the enormity of the situation I find myself in. Last Monday, I turned the corner and the emotional abyss I had been in, turned into more of a manageable climb. I can do this right!?? Yes! It also helped that friends kept me socializing, instead of allowing me to wallow. Drowning in self pity never really helps anyone, LOL. I know this all too well, so it was time to take my own advice. I enjoyed a spa day with very dear friends of mine from college and a dinner out with two other wonderful friends. We also enjoyed the 4th at another friends home, and I truly enjoyed watching the fireworks, something I have taken for granted for years. I'm catching up with friends from my past and present, and that part of this journey has been good for my soul. My week continued to improve and now I'm back in camp mode, as we prepare for our second session of Camp Conejo 2017.

The other part of this is the waiting game. Although I met with the quarterback of my medical team, Dr. Eilber, we had been waiting for the insurance authorization so that I could see his medical team. My sister Christine, kept applying pressure via phone calls, until the authorization came through. My next two appointments are very important. I will be seeing the Oncologist on Dr. Eilber's team on Monday afternoon. After that appointment, I'll be heading across town to see the other team member of Dr. Eilbers crew, the orthopedic surgeon. I will have a much clearer idea of when chemotherapy will start, once I meet with Dr. Singh, the Oncologist. Although I was initially a bit scared about chemo, I'm anxious for it to start. I know chemo is my best chance of attacking the rogue cancer cells in my body. 

I appreciate everyone reaching out, sending prayers and offering help of any kind. Patricia Williams has created a link on TakeThemaMeal.com and people will be able to drop off meals or send meal gift cards to help my kids and I, while I am receiving treatments. The generosity and kindness I have received brings me to tears and I am eternally grateful for all of the support we have been given and offered. Garrett, Taylor and Austin are doing well throughout the past several weeks. They have been busy with camp, and they are remaining very optimistic and hopeful. We hug a lot, and tell each other how much we love each other more times a day than I can count. Love and hugs will get me through! 

No comments:

Post a Comment