Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Love is a Song


“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent"...(Victor Hugo). It's the first day of the new year and I can't think of a better way to celebrate the new year than to listen to music and honor all of the music that has inspired me throughout the past several years. Music has helped me through very tough times, lifting me up and speaking directly to my heart and soul when I was at my lowest points. Equally, when I'm positive and upbeat, certain songs resonate with my joyful vibe helping lift my spirit higher. Music has an incredible way of setting the tone though. Often, the songs I come across at particular moments speak to me directly, as if a personal message is being sent to me via music. In addition, a certain song can stir up deep feelings and trigger memories. As a teen, I loved the 80's dance stuff because it was just fun. I also always connected with love songs as early as I can remember, not surprisingly. There are songs that have bridged time. I remember listening to the song "Endless Summer Nights" by Richard Marx in the late 80's thinking about someone special and now when I hear it, I am brought right back to that summer and those memories. As a teen, the love song I listened to the most was, "When I'm with You" by Sheriff. The band was a one hit wonder as it turned out, but that song always spoke deeply to me. I wondered while listening to that song, what it would be like to be so in love with someone that I'd feel that way. The song gave me hope about love. I adore the song "Higher Love" by Steve Winwood. That is a classic song that speaks to the desire to experience a love that is above it all, deeper and it's worth waiting for. U2 is very poetic in it's songs about love, desire and relationships. I especially love their songs: "Sweetest Thing," "Elevation," and "Mysterious Ways." Bryan Adams songs are quite romantic and poetic. As a teen I listened to Bryan Adams endlessly at the beach. I just really liked the beat to the music but now I actually listen to the words and wow, Bryan had some incredible things to say about love. His song, "Do I Have to Say the Words" and "Let's Make This A Night To Remember" are very romantic and sexy. Of course people have songs for their weddings, graduations and to celebrate events. Music connects us to the heart of life in some way. This blog was inspired by the song, "I Believe," and music inspires me daily. Here are some quotes about music. “To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable"...(Aaron Copland). "After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music"...(Aldous Huxley). "All good music resembles something. Good music stirs by its mysterious resemblance to the objects and feelings which motivated it"...(Jean Cocteau). "All music is beautiful"...(Billy Strayhorn). There are some songs that came from movies that remain with us long after the movie has faded. I still love the song "If Anybody had a Heart" by John Waite, from the movie "About Last Night." The entire movie "August Rush" is about how music speaks to the heart and I still listen to several songs from that soundtrack. A newer song from a soundtrack that I listen to is "When I Look At You," from the movie "The Last Song." I've always loved Amy Grant and most of her songs are about love. A newer artist I recently discovered is Leona Lewis and again, it won't shock you that most of her music is about love too. I do love fun, dance music too. Most of the dance stuff is about sex, which can make for interesting listening as well, depending on my mood. Overall, I just love music....it makes me want to get up and dance, cry, laugh or contemplate myself and life. “Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"...(Plato).

No comments:

Post a Comment