Sunday, October 25, 2009

Free To Be Me


This trip to California is my first trip away from my children by myself in 10 years. I never really fully appreciated all of the time I had to myself before kids. I certainly appreciate it now! I have streamlined a lot of things since having children. Juggling kids, a career and everything else leaves very little time for myself in all areas of my life. When I go shopping, I am so harried that I usually grab clothes off the rack quickly, purchasing and hoping they fit correctly. I just don't spend the time to browse, window shop or take my sweet time like I did before kids. If I have an hour or two to myself, I truly enjoy the time that I have now, appreciating each and every second. This trip is the lottery of alone time! Tonight, I am at a resort and spa by myself in Lake Arrowhead and it is truly amazing. I work with so many clients that do not know how to be by themselves. The upside I guess of having been unsupervised growing up, is that I learned to do a lot of things on my own and became incredibly independent. As a child, I went to movies alone and I would organize day trips by myself or with friends, to go on adventures with our bikes. Sometimes, we would scrape up enough money to take the bus to the mall and spend all day playing tag in and around the shops. Needless to say, I still enjoy alone time. I actually give homework out to some of my clients that are too panicked to be alone. Their assignment, go to a movie, lunch or take a day trip, by themselves. This proves to be quite challenging for some of them. How can anyone really enjoy being around you, if you can't enjoy being around you? Back at the resort, I had a wonderful afternoon, sitting out on the balcony, taking in the view. I went to the gourmet restaurant for dinner all dressed up and enjoyed an organic glass of Merlot and the most delicious salmon. I gave a silent toast to myself, "Denise, thanks for really listening, for being true to yourself and for being the best friend a girl could ever have....cheers!" I thoroughly enjoyed the interesting, stimulating conversation I had with myself and had a chance to really reflect on many things going on in my life. After dinner, I practically danced all the way back to my room, just giddy and so excited to have all of this alone time. I headed out to the outdoor hot tub and sat under the stars, enjoying the solitude and peace of being on my own. In the morning, I am heading to the spa for an hour long massage, which will really top off this trip! My refection, I have learned to really enjoy who I am. I adore being social too, but alone time is precious and I absolutely value being by myself. It is crucial once in awhile! More importantly, everyone should be more than okay with being alone. When I work with clients afraid to be alone, they become very dependent on having other's around them. Being alone for several hours can be a good start. This trip is a rarity for me, but each and every one of us can find enjoyment in the small chunks of time we can find for ourselves. Even driving has become a much treasured retreat for me. Learn to enjoy your own company, get to know yourself and don't be afraid to branch out and do more on your own. You just might discover that you can truly love and appreciate the freedom that comes with being yourself.......by yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment