Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Gratitude


I have a 36 year old family member struggling with aggressive cancer. What a difficult lesson cancer is for the individual and for everyone touched by it...,the family, friends, caregivers, children and spouses. I read a statistic that approximately one in three individuals will get some form of cancer in their lifetimes. That is an astounding statistic. I interned at an oncology unit of a hospital when I was in grad school. I witnessed young 20's on up with various forms of cancer. Most days I would go home in tears, overwhelmed by the daily pain I was witnessing. Cancer is a lesson for us all. The lesson......gratitude for each and every day that we have. Most people are so busy and consumed by the stresses and business of their daily lives that they forget to take a moment and just appreciate the day. Each day is truly a gift each one of us has and we should not take that for granted. Just ask someone living with cancer and they will surely tell you that cancer has taught them to appreciate life! You have no idea what an amazing gift life is until you feel it slipping away, day by day. "If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change (Buddha)." Life is a miracle and each day is precious. The other things I observed interning at the hospital was loneliness, poverty, fear, sadness, mental illness and a lot of loss. Many people are struggling with very difficult lessons. Some have no contact with family and feel all alone. I witnessed individuals in poverty without enough bus money to get home. Some souls do not even have enough food to eat and many children are lacking in guidance, supervision, love and basic needs. Again, with all of that said, the lesson we can learn from our own struggles as well as others, gratitude. The other lesson of illness, disease and loss is awakening. When the individual suffering and those affected wake up to the opportunity to embrace life, they are forever changed. We have all heard stories of people disgnosed with cancer and they completely change their lives. I have watched people completely transform, enjoying a day with their kids or suddenly noticing a beautiful garden they've passed a million times. The arguments and stresses of life seem petty and time with loved one's more valuable than money. The lessons just continue until the day you leave this life so be in the moment, be grateful and embrace all that life has to offer. "Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it (Buddha)."

1 comment:

  1. Hey Denise,
    I worked in a hospital for 10 years and saw many patients come in dying with cancer or other diseases. It is so sad seeing people in pain and that they are suffering. Some of them have no family or their family is out of state. I remember this one patient in her 60's that was dying of cancer. I first met her in the Emergency room. She came in alot for chemo. She was admitted several times because of the chemo. I used to go up everyday to play cards with her or just to sit and talk to her. She told me have grateful she was that I did this for her because she had no family. Everytime I went to see her, she would give me a big smile and that just made my day. My boss and other co-workers would give me hell for doing this. I used to tell them it is called being compassionate. You never know what can happen so do not take things for granted and appreciate every single day. Another grat blog Denise..
    Maura

    ReplyDelete