Friday, October 30, 2009

Trust Life


Two years ago, I knew in my gut that I needed to finally move office spaces. I started the process to rent another space and I gave my notice at the office I was renting. Suddenly, the owner of the new space started playing games and I decided not to rent the new space. So there I was with no new office and having given notice to my current space and only 2 weeks left on my lease. It was a lesson in trust. I resisted the urge to jump into fear and panic......and two days later, I received a call from an old friend out of the blue, asking if I wanted to rent office space from them. Things will work out for the best if you just sit in the moment and try to resist the pull toward fear, doubt and panic. I have navigated most of my life on trust and have always tried to avoid the pitfalls and avoidance techniques fear offers, but I am human and sometimes, fear can get the best of me too. Trust is the exact opposite of fear and really challenges ones inner faith in life. You may say you trust life, but the true test comes when you are challenged by a situation that pulls up your deepest urges to run in fear or be frozen by fear. I worked with a female client recently, who has been married for 25 years. Her husband was discovered to have led a double life, having a 10 year affair with someone. After the discovery, she decided to stay in the marriage and he promised to be faithful. Once again however, she was challenged when she discovered him cheating recently. The crossroads for her, to finally face her fears about leaving him. Her feelings are screaming, "don't trust him and he will cheat again" but she wants her inner voice to stop. My reply, "your emotions are trying to tell you something......what are you so afraid of?" Her answer, "I am afraid to be alone." Fear dictates all kinds of excuses to stay in terrible situations. It creates illusions and you begin to see what you want to see, not what is really there. This woman wants her husband to be someone he is not. She wants the image, but the reality is killing her. She admits that she cannot stay this miserable but still holds out hope that he will change. Fear is paralyzing her. I witness fear each and every day with clients. Some are fearful they will get cancer, many are afraid to be alone, others are fearful of having people get upset at them, some doubt and mistrust anything hopeful and some are just plain overwhelmed by life. Many people create all types of excuses to prevent them from truly being happy and trusting life. With each crossroads I have faced in my life, I have always drawn on the deepest part of me, the whispering voice of trust. Fear can blind you from seeing that the answers are right before you, if you just calm the fear instead of feeding it. "The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed (Buddha)." The answers come from within and with trust in your heart, the answers will appear as if by magic. If you reflect back on any situation when you were fearful, how much of it was based in reality? Fear blurs everything and you cannot see a situation clearly when it is being distorted. Just remember that fear is a defense that prevents you from trusting life. Stay in the moment and do not look too far ahead....that only fuels more fear. When in doubt or fear, step back from the situation and sit with your emotions for awhile before reacting. Reactions based in fear are never positive and are only a defense to distance yourself from the perceived threat, rather than really observing what you are feeling underneath the fear. Once again, get to know your feelings, don't allow fear to dictate your life and make a vow to yourself........that trusting life will be your new affirmation, each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment